Life Insurance and Murder Mysteries
A 25-year-old wife falls to her death while hiking with her husband. The woman’s mother, convinced that her son-in-law pushed her daughter over the edge, goes on a relentless hunt to prove his guilt. The authorities, dismissing the accusations as the rantings of a grief-stricken mother, ignore her claims. That is until they discover that the husband secretly took out a million dollar life insurance policy on his wife just days before her death.
Is this just a plot for a classic film noir masterpiece or could it really happen? Could someone buy a secret life insurance policy on someone else – maybe even you?
You can rest easy; this life insurance collection plot is extremely unlikely. Here’s Why:
- Most life insurance policies require a medical exam of the person being insured.
- Most policies require you to sign an acknowledgement letter that will allow the insurer to access your medical information.
- Even policies that don’t require a medical exam will require the signature of the insured.
- It has become standard practice for most insurers to make a follow-up phone call to the person being insured to verify the information on the application.
- Insurance companies make sure that the person buying the policy has an "insurable interest" in the insured, based on marriage, blood, or business relationships.
What About Secret Employer-Based Life Insurance Policies?
Up until 2007, employers could purchase life insurance policies on their employees without their employees’ knowledge or consent. In the event of an employee’s death, the employer would receive the benefits of that policy. These were known as “dead peasant” policies (lovely, right?).
The bottom line on secret life insurance policies
If you want to go hiking with your spouse, go ahead. The chances that he or she has taken out a “secret” life insurance policy on you are slim to none.
As independent Trusted Choice insurance agents, we offer life insurance policies from competing carriers, so unlike single-brand agencies, we are equipped to find you the best deal that truly meets your insurance needs. Call today.